It is fitting to be posting this today as my friend who first introduced me to this salad celebrated both her birthday as well as her engagement party this past weekend! Beyond this salad, she has given me so much more. A few years ago for the new year, she sent this quote in a card which I’ve kept posted at home.
“May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness. I hope you read some fine books and kiss someone who thinks you’re wonderful, and don’t forget to make some art– write or draw or build or sing or live as only you can. And I hope, somewhere in the next year, you surprise yourself.” —Neil Gaiman
While it can feel challenging to uphold this vision in the hustle of day to day life, I continue to gain a deeper understanding of its importance as my understanding of the world, my priorities, and my intentions shift.
- 2 cans of chickpeas (15 oz)
- a handful of cherry tomatoes – halved
- 4 drops of Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 onion – diced small
- 1 teaspoon cumin,
- Salt, Pepper to taste
Steps and Notes:
- Boil the chickpeas for about 10 minutes – or until tender
- Drain the water and place in a side bowl
- Saute the onion in some oil until translucent
- Add the cumin and saute for an extra minute
- Return the chickpeas to the pan and add salt and pepper to taste
- Add the tomatoes and the worcestershire and cover, on low for about 5 minutes.
Ideally serve warm, but it’s also very yummy cold.. or as a midnight snack from the fridge.
Thoughts for Next Time:
- Add cucumbers or avocado on top
- Top with feta cheese
- Incorporate some spice, maybe some cracked red pepper