Well, for the last 10 days or so, I’ve been curled up sick in bed, and haven’t stepped foot in the kitchen. Last night I had a surge of energy and it felt soo good to play around with a new recipe. I turned to Giada, as I knew she wouldn’t let me down with her lemony shrimp risotto. This risotto was easy to prepare and the lemon flavor was bright and allowed the shrimp to shine. The arugula also provided nice texture and spice. Mmm. Delicious and filling!
- 5 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 pound of shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 1 small onion – diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 large garlic clove – chopped
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 3+ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from 1 large lemon)
- zest from the 1 large lemon
- 3 cups of arugula
Steps & Notes:
- Heat 2 Tablespoons of olive oil and cook the shrimp for about 3 minutes. Then remove, and put in a bowl with the juices
- Giada uses larger shrimp, but I went with smaller bit size pieces. Yum!
- In the same pan, saute the onion in the rest of the olive oil. Add the garlic for the last 30 seconds.
- Giada also uses fennel, but I’m not a huge fan, so I skipped that
- Add the rice to the pan and allow the liquid to coat the rice and cook until slightly translucent. Stirring constantly.
- Then, add the wine and cook off completely
- Add all 3 cups of chicken broth at the same time, with the remainder of the salt and pepper. Stir occasionally.
- Zest a whole lemon as well as the juice and mix well
- Cook on medium low until creamy (about 14-15 minutes). Add more stock if necessary during this step.
- Remove from the heat and add the arugula. Mix well, then toss with the shrimp.
We served this with a bit of shaved Parmesan on top.
Thoughts for Next Time:
- I wouldn’t change a thing!