Ok April, here we go. This year, my April will be filled with veggies and devoid of carbs. Inspired by some friends, I’ve decided to do my own ‘cleanse’ this month where I eat lots of real food, less sugar, fewer grains, and little to no alcohol – eek! It is day three and I am going strong so far, though a day at work was surprisingly more challenging than this past weekend at home.
Anywhoo, in order to get through this crazy torture I’ve decided to enact on myself, meal prep is going to come in handy. My friend Carolyn and I are in this together and have an amazing google doc filled with shared recipes that we each have gathered. While I typically make some variation of egg muffins for breakfast, Carolyn made an egg bake yesterday and I was inspired.
This bake was quick to throw together and then all the magic happened in the oven. Now, pieces are cut and in the fridge and breakfasts are set for the week. The combination of breakfast sausage and creamy leeks just melts in your mouth. I bet this would also be tasty with a jalapeno or some mushrooms.
- 1 small onion – diced
- 1 leek – diced
- 5 oz spinach
- Apx 4 oz of breakfast sausage
- 10 eggs
- About 1/2 cup Milk
- Crushed Red Pepper
- Dried Basil
Steps and Notes:
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Saute the sausage and crumble with a wooden spoon
- Add the diced onions and leeks and sprinkle with salt, pepper, crushed red pepper and basil. Cook on medium low heat until soft
- Break the eggs into a bowl and whisk with a fork. Add the milk and whisk well
- Add the cooke veggies to the mixing bowl with the eggs and stir well
- Lightly grease a baking dish (9×9) with oil then pour the egg and veggies into the dish
- Sprinkle feta on top and add a bit more crushed red pepper and salt
- Cook for 35 – 37 minutes until eggs are set
Thoughts for Next Time:
- Add a bit of a kick with a jalapeno
- Make some sort of ‘crust’ with grated potatoes perhaps
- Broccoli, Bacon, and Sweet Potato Breakfast Bake