Apparently today is National Taco Day, and without knowing it I made tacos for breakfast and for dinner! According to my father “these are not tacos — this is just food wrapped in a taco shell.” But, I argued that the definition of a taco is broad. Plus, these do have guacamole, cajun seasoned shrimps, and a chipotle lime aioli. I think it counts.
The inspiration for these shrimp tacos came from my cousin Courtney on the drive home from my brother’s wedding. The wedding itself was perfect. Our families enjoyed a weekend together outside in the beautiful Vermont countryside. The leaves were just beginning to turn as fall reared its head and guests enjoyed drinks and laughter by the fire. The venue was speckled with hand crafted bouquets made by my (new!) sister-in-law’s sister, and we ate like kings and queens (rack of lamb? Yes please!)
On the drive home we stopped for our weekly grocery run during which Courtney suggested shrimp tacos. She raved about how easy they are to throw together for a quick dinner and that they also work well for weekly lunches. I couldn’t agree more! These tacos were flavorful, filling, and the perfect quick meal at the end of a long day.
- Small – medium sized frozen ‘ cooked shrimp (about 4 per taco)
- About 2 cups Cooked Farro
- Red cabbage – cut into thin ribbons
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1 lime
- 1 lemon
- Chipotle adobo hot sauce (I used cholula)
- Corn tortillas
Steps and Notes:
- Remove the shrimp from the freezer and place in a colander. Run cold water over the shrimp until thawed
- Cut the red cabbage and place in a bowl. Sprinkle with lime juice, lemon juice, and salt (let sit while preparing the rest of the ingredients)
- Place the cooked farro in a small saute pan and cook on med-high heat for 2-3 minutes. Add salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Remove to a side bowl
- Deshell the shrimps (if necessary) and add to the saute pan. Sprinkle with a bit of olive oil then season with salt, pepper, cajun seasoning and paprika. Mix regularly on high heat.
- Warm the corn tortilla shells either in the pan or
- Make the aioli by combining greek yogurt, chipotle hot sauce, and lime.
- Assemble each taco by adding the farro, shrimp, cabbage, avocado, and aioli
Thoughts for next time:
- Wrap the tacos in lettuce wraps
- Add red onion for some extra crunch