Hi friends! I haven’t written or posted in a while because I’ve been taking the month to get back into yoga, to spend evenings connecting with old friends, and to read some real books!
Despite being MIA here on the blog we have actually cooked up a few new meals including freezer burritos that we ate throughout the week for lunches, a clam chowder in our new instant pot (!), and a sausage veggie soup that was somehow both light and filling. Any interest in me re-creating and posting them here?
We have also been digging back into the blog archives to re-make some dishes that I’ve posted here over the years including hot Italian sausage with lentils, crock pot carnitas, and turkey and black bean chili.
This baked pesto chicken and spaghetti squash was an experiment as we wanted to clean several items out of our fridge before heading on vacation. We sauteed some chicken thighs and then added it to steamed spaghetti squash. We tossed the combined items with pesto, sprinkled it with some parmesan, and threw it into the oven to bake for 15 minutes or so.
It was exactly as you’d expect. The pesto created a nice flavor that brought together the squash and the chicken, and baking it allowed the flavors to better meld together. But, when I make it next I want to add a bit more flavor. Maybe a thicker sauce, or a spicy element? I haven’t quite put my finger on it – but it needs something for it to be a smashing success.
Any thoughts or inspirations? Send ‘em my way!
(Note: Seeing as this is in my experiment category this recipe is still a work in progress. Proceed with caution and/or send me your suggestions if you try it!)
- 4 chicken thighs
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1/2 cup pesto (I make and freeze batches each year using various combinations)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Salt and Pepper
Steps and Notes:
- Prepare the spaghetti squash by cutting it in half, removing seeds, and placing it face down in a shallow pie plate of water. Cook for 15 minutes until soft. Use a fork to remove squash
- Cut the chicken thighs into strips and season with salt and pepper
- Saute the chicken thighs in a teaspoon of olive oil. Start on a higher temp and then reduce to low.
- Once cooked through add a tablespoon of pesto to the warm chicken and coat.
- Add the reserved spaghetti squash to a mixing bowl and add most of the pesto. Mix well. Then, add the chicken and remaining pesto.
- Place into a baking dish, top with the cheese, and bake uncovered for 15 minutes.
Thoughts for Next Time:
- Create more of a liquidy sauce to coat the noodles prior to cooking
- Cover with some cheese that melts slightly
- Coat the chicken with panko crumbs